Frontiers

Frontline Pelotonia13

Tags:
Pelotonia 12 Tally Tops $16 Million

4-Year Total Surpasses $42 million

By Bob Hecker

Pelotonia-photos.jpg
Riders, virtual riders and donors in Pelotonia 12, the annual grassroots bicycle tour that generates money for cancer research at the OSUCCC – James, raised a record $16,871,403, a 28-percent increase over the Pelotonia 11 total of $13.1 million.

The Pelotonia 12 tally brought the four-year fundraising total for Pelotonia, which began in 2009, to more than $42 million. Pelotonia 12 drew a record 6,212 riders from 43 states and three countries, as well as 3,141 virtual riders and more than 2,000 volunteers. The riders were supported by more than 80,000
donors.

The event also featured new routes and destinations. In the first three Pelotonias, the routes went to the south, circulating between central Ohio and Ohio University in Athens. But last year’s tour took a northerly direction and offered six ride options, with the longest extending from Columbus to Gambier, Ohio – the home of Kenyon College.

The routes for Pelotonia 13, scheduled for Aug. 9-11, will be virtually the same as they were for Pelotonia 12.

Measured by riders, Pelotonia 12 became the nation’s largest singleevent biking fundraiser. Among the riders were a record 1,635 members of Team Buckeye, the official superpeloton (riding group) of The Ohio State University – a team that included 1,198 riders, 336 virtual riders and 101 volunteers. Team Buckeye comprised 84 pelotons that collectively raised more than $2.1 million of the Pelotonia 12 total.

Thanks to the event’s generous sponsors – Huntington Bank, Limited Brands Foundation, Richard and Peggy Santulli, American Electric PowerFoundation, Nationwide Insurance, Cardinal Health Foundation, JP Morgan Chase and The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company – Pelotonia can direct every dollar raised by riders, virtual riders and donors to the OSUCCC – James for cancer research.

Pelotonia Financial Summary
In its first four years, Pelotonia has generated more than $42 million for cancer research at the OSUCCC – James through rider pledges and donations. Each of the bicycle tour’s first four years saw an increase in riders, volunteers and dollars raised: 2009 – 2,250 riders, 1,200 volunteers, $4.5 million; 2010 – 4,047 riders, 1,600 volunteers, $7.8 million; 2011 – 4,986 riders, 1,700 volunteers, $13.1 million; 2012 – 6,212 riders, 2,000 volunteers, $16.9 million. Thanks to the event’s generous underwriters, every dollar raised by riders and donors has been or will be committed to research-related expenditures. Funds raised in Pelotonia 12 have not yet been totally allocated. The chart shown to the left reflects funding allocations from Pelotonia 09, 10 and 11.

chartart2.jpg

INVESTING IN THE NEXT GENERATION: PELOTONIA FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM

To date, $5 million has been allocated to the Pelotonia Fellowship Program, which provides research money for Ohio State students at all levels of scholarship – undergraduate, graduate, medical school and postdoctoral fellows – who want to conduct cancer research in the labs of faculty mentors.

SPANNING THE UNIVERSITY
Pelotonia fellowship recipients may be from any discipline of study. Students from eight colleges and 38 departments at Ohio State have received fellowships funded by money raised in Pelotonia. The above chart shows a breakdown of colleges receiving fellowship grants.

14-May-13
54  Comments  |  Trackback Url  | 0  Link to this post

Bookmark this post with:

Links to this post

Comments

Andrea  commented on  Wednesday, November 13, 2013  5:03 AM
THE BIRD FLU A GOOD ONE.You know, I think a lot of people beleive that Bike Party is ran by a bunch of uppity bike folk who have secret meetings and handshakes. This couldn't be further from the truth. We are bike nerds who love the ride It's as simple as that. Some of us simply saw the need and decided to step up. Everybody has their specific strengths and we truly shine when a ride finally comes to fruition. It's amazing to see people at volunteer meetings with the curious attitude of how can I help and later they change to an attitude of this is how I will help . So many new ideas come from our volunteers. One way that anyone can really step up is to become informed Of how we ride , learning the route, and kindly passing that info on. Think about it when you show up to a party, club or event you are real critical about the people, the venue, the music, the service. You are really rolling the dice on how your night is going to turn out. It makes it easy to say to walk away and say I hope they get it right next time. Yet, when you throw your own event, party, concert you have a little bit of your own spirit invested in it. You want people to have a good time. You want people to take pictures. You want people to be talking about your party for weeks. You want people to be asking about the next one. This is the change in attitude that I already see happening. It is like an epidemic, a BiRD flu, if you will. I know there are big groups of riders who come out and use bike party as a venue for you to build friendships amongst your crews. Can you imagine if each one of these clicks modeled good bike party behavior? Most already do this send a representative to a meeting, stay informed, follow the very simple rules, help someone in need, boo the knuckleheads and above all have a effing blast. You'd be surprised at how much your group could help. (big ups to Booze Cruise for leading us out of the startpoint last month) In other exciting news, did you know that a group in the East Bay has started their own East Bay Bike Party on the same night as our ride? SJBP, I think we are doing something right! Find out how you can become a BIRD I know a lot of you care for the ride it's time to make sure that the ride endures the 5000+ riders we expect this summer. Thank you SJBP for all that you have done and how you continue to build community through cycling. Own. The. Ride. //end rant

منتديات  commented on  Saturday, December 07, 2013  8:25 AM

cheap basic car insurance ca  commented on  Friday, December 27, 2013  6:08 AM
Holy shiznit, this is so cool thank you.

click here to get started  commented on  Sunday, December 29, 2013  5:19 PM
Weeeee, what a quick and easy solution.

health insurance  commented on  Wednesday, January 01, 2014  9:32 AM
Great article, thank you again for writing.

cheapest car insurance for women  commented on  Friday, January 03, 2014  7:52 AM
Good to see a talent at work. I can't match that.

viagara from internet  commented on  Friday, January 03, 2014  10:56 PM
Weeeee, what a quick and easy solution.

slots  commented on  Sunday, January 05, 2014  3:56 PM
Never would have thunk I would find this so indispensable.

free quotes car insurance  commented on  Tuesday, January 07, 2014  10:11 AM
I've been looking for a post like this for an age

here  commented on  Tuesday, January 14, 2014  8:51 AM
This is the perfect post for me to find at this time

cheap mini bus insurance  commented on  Wednesday, January 15, 2014  9:13 AM
No question this is the place to get this info, thanks y'all.

cheapest car insurance companies  commented on  Sunday, January 19, 2014  9:47 AM
I was looking everywhere and this popped up like nothing!

online life insurance  commented on  Sunday, January 26, 2014  11:08 PM
Lot of smarts in that posting!

student health insurance  commented on  Wednesday, January 29, 2014  5:39 AM
Thanks for helping me to see things in a different light.

here  commented on  Thursday, January 30, 2014  9:59 AM
And to think I was going to talk to someone in person about this.

cheap travel insurance european  commented on  Friday, February 07, 2014  2:56 AM
I could watch Schindler's List and still be happy after reading this.

smartgridbusinessnetwork.org  commented on  Wednesday, August 27, 2014  12:51 AM
In many of my articles I've explained the benefits of owning variable speed pool pumps. One of the major benefits I continually point out is the reduction of energy consumption on the power grid.

living-business.org  commented on  Wednesday, August 27, 2014  12:51 AM
You could own the Real Estate or be the company that provides the service. Or combine them and get the best of both worlds.

smartgreenbusiness.org  commented on  Wednesday, August 27, 2014  12:51 AM
I wish I could take about a week to give business people an introduction to Green business practices. Environmentalism has become an immense diversity of issues, and even scaling down to the parts that apply to business leaves enough information to fill a truckload of books.

minoritybusinesssolutions.org  commented on  Wednesday, August 27, 2014  12:52 AM
Small minority business owners are faced with a lot of obstacles when attempting to create the right small business marketing strategies. There are so many barriers to overcome with marketing

businesstheory.org  commented on  Wednesday, August 27, 2014  12:52 AM
This is a common attitude because change is a good thing for business, and organizations implement changes all of the time to make improvements on processes, productivity, and efficiency. Here are a few ways you can make the transition of change easier for your employees.

how to make my dick bigger  commented on  Thursday, August 28, 2014  6:38 AM
Have you felt like your story don't satisfy your soulmate each time? Have everyone ever wished which you could last through the night long? Have you wondered what folks mean by unbelievable orgasms? Well you can find all this even more just virtually penis augmentation pills.

olive oil for hair  commented on  Tuesday, September 30, 2014  9:05 AM
This is 7 olive oil for hair benefits : 1. Prevents Hair Loss 2. Get Rids of Dandruff and Head Lice 3.Improves Hair Strength Naturally 4. Makes Hair Shiny and Soft 5. Improves Blood Circulation in Scalp 6. Promotes Scalp Health 7. Tames Frizzy Hair Source:

www.fitjackets.com  commented on  Wednesday, October 01, 2014  4:34 AM
I have read here, seem genuine and realistic ideas for sure that I will achieve the success. Definitely worth a shot!

usammdiscounts  commented on  Wednesday, October 08, 2014  7:33 AM
We still have lots of studies happening to find a better medicine for cancer. Now the percentage of cancer patients have gone very high. More than the disease the fear of the disease kills most of the men. We still have to find a better treatment.

artigos festa  commented on  Tuesday, October 21, 2014  11:47 PM

very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article

psd loft  commented on  Wednesday, November 12, 2014  2:47 AM

hop over to this web-site  commented on  Saturday, November 15, 2014  1:05 AM
efforts you had made for writing this awesome article

important link  commented on  Saturday, November 15, 2014  1:08 AM
had made for writing this awesome article

Green Smart Living  commented on  Sunday, November 16, 2014  7:56 AM
mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post Anine Bing a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful

Forex Trading In US   commented on  Wednesday, November 26, 2014  4:01 AM
I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say tasdhat I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Forex Trading In US   commented on  Wednesday, November 26, 2014  4:01 AM

Free PDF Links  commented on  Sunday, December 07, 2014  5:19 AM
a post like this for an age

BontonWear Sherlock holmes Coat  commented on  Saturday, December 13, 2014  3:27 AM
Marvelous publishing content! The topic is renewable in your way of writing with great information.

kindle paperwhite  commented on  Sunday, December 14, 2014  5:34 AM
I've been looking for a post like this for an age

fibro  commented on  Monday, December 15, 2014  2:43 AM
I comprehend everybody got their own particular presumption, regardless? Tune in, your web log is cool.

εργασια θεσσαλονικη  commented on  Monday, December 15, 2014  1:31 PM

emotional support animals  commented on  Tuesday, December 16, 2014  1:42 AM
now that a lot of Russians are very fond .

led ceiling lights  commented on  Tuesday, December 16, 2014  1:55 AM
Russians are very fond .

tmj massage  commented on  Tuesday, December 16, 2014  7:19 AM

used copiers  commented on  Wednesday, December 17, 2014  1:52 AM
Here are some of the choice highlights from his list courtesy of MTV Hive

Engagement Rings   commented on  Wednesday, December 17, 2014  3:35 AM
some of the choice highlights from his list courtesy

clash of lords 2 online hack  commented on  Wednesday, December 17, 2014  5:20 AM
This topic has always been one of my favorite subjects to read about.

portable moving containers  commented on  Thursday, December 18, 2014  12:32 AM
always been one of my favorite subjects to read about...

hud home improvement loans  commented on  Thursday, December 18, 2014  3:57 AM
It not only allows the cave and polar explorer to easily distinguish between day and night, but also has a tough shell, which is true for the expedition challenge the limits

Alexis  commented on  Thursday, December 18, 2014  5:43 AM
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

online forklift certification  commented on  Thursday, December 18, 2014  5:58 AM
DJ Spinna has made it simple for you by compiling his short list of classic Moog material from the late-60’s. Here are some of the choice highlights from his list courtesy of MTV Hive:

touch tech gloves  commented on  Saturday, December 20, 2014  3:23 AM
classic but interesting and well-finished. Some of the other pieces didn’t fit the models as well as I would have liked, but overall I thought this monochromatic collection lived up to its “polished style” tagline

garden franchise  commented on  Saturday, December 20, 2014  5:34 AM
than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.

curly malaysian hair weave  commented on  Saturday, December 20, 2014  6:48 AM
yet I never found any interesting article like yours. .

www  commented on  Sunday, December 21, 2014  2:45 AM
bill and you can point to the greed of Wall St (apparently greed never existed before 2008)

sepatu futsal adidas terbaru  commented on  Sunday, December 21, 2014  5:06 AM

sepatu futsal nike original  commented on  Sunday, December 21, 2014  5:07 AM

kids car bed  commented on  Sunday, December 21, 2014  6:41 AM
August than in years past on the trade front, mostly due to more teams believing that they can compete today than they will a month from now.

Name *:
URL:
Email:
Comments:

CAPTCHA Image Validation