Ohio State Receives Grants For Breast Cancer Programs

May 12, 2011

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Komen Columbus has awarded more than $140,000 in grants to fund breast cancer programs at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research (OSUCCC – James). The grants support programs that provide thousands of women with breast health education, screening and treatment.

The four programs receiving Komen Columbus grants for 2011-2012 are:

  • ACE that Mammogram: Reducing Issues Related to Access, Cost & Expertise – This $60,000 grant will expand efforts to educate and screen eligible women in the Komen Columbus area with mobile mammography visits to underserved communities and those with access issues, said JoAnne Lester, clinical assistant professor in the college of nursing at Ohio State.

  • The Black Bonnet Project – This $13,275 grant focuses on Amish women living in Gallia and Jackson Counties to help improve their breast cancer knowledge and increase breast cancer screening, said Mira Katz, associate professor for health behavior and health promotion at Ohio State.

  • Sister Screen Saver – This $26,340 grant will provide on-site mobile mammography screening services at local community churches and use culturally tailored information to educate African American women about breast cancer prevention and early detection, including a screen saver and video for educational purposes. The program will provide information on local resources for free or low cost mammograms and support services, said Chasity Cooper, program director of diversity enhancement at OSUCCC – James.

  • Think Pink – This $41,620 grant will enable the Meigs County Cancer Initiative to implement a community tailored approach to raise awareness and provide education about breast health as well as increase mammography screening rates among women ages 40 and older in Meigs County, said Darla Fickle, program director at Ohio State’s Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Komen Columbus has raised more than $17 million since it began in 1993; 75 percent of that money stays in its 30-county service area which includes central and southeastern Ohio and is used to conduct breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The other 25 percent goes to Susan G. Komen for the Cure to fund national breast cancer research programs. For more information call the Komen Columbus office at (614) 297-8155.

The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (cancer.osu.edu) is one of only 40 Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States designated by the National Cancer Institute. Ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the top cancer hospitals in the nation, The James is the 205-bed adult patient-care component of the cancer program at The Ohio State University. The OSUCCC-James is one of only seven funded programs in the country approved by the NCI to conduct both Phase I and Phase II clinical trials.

# # #

Jennifer Mutchler

Medical Center Public Affairs and Media Relations



Contact Media Staff

Amanda Harper

Director of Media Relations

614-685-5420 (direct)

614-293-3737 (main)


Media staff are available by calling 614-293-3737 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.


If after hours, please call 614-293-8000 (ask the operator to page the hospital administrative manager).

Latest News

Colon Cancer Awareness Month at the OSUCCC - James

Throughout March, Ohio State's cancer and gastroenterology experts hosted a variety of events throughout the central Ohio region for Colon Cancer Awareness Month.

Read More

New Clinical Trial Aims to Reprogram Cells to Attack a Specific Relapsed Blood Cancer

An upcoming clinical trial at The James aims to reprogram a patient’s immune cells to attack a specific relapsed blood cancer, called multiple myeloma. The idea is to “super-charge” the patient’s immune...

Read More

NCCN Publishes New Guidelines for Smoking Cessation, Effort Led by Ohio State Oncologist

To meet the needs of patients who are smokers at the time of a cancer diagnosis, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network has published smoking cessation guidelines. Ohio State's Peter Shields, MD...

Read More