Robotic prostatectomy allows physicians to perform the surgery with less patient trauma and pain, minimal scarring, faster recovery and shorter hospital stays. Surgeries are performed through small incisions, which replace the large incisions needed for conventional open surgeries. While traditional open surgery often requires a hospital stay of 2 to 3 days and 6 or more weeks of recovery, robotic prostatectomy procedures require a hospital stay of less than 24 hours and a 7- to 10-day recovery period to independent activities of daily living.
For more information about robotic prostatectomy at The James, please call (614) 293-0981.
For maps and directions to the hospital; lodging, transportation, and parking information; and other things you need to know about coming to The James, visit our Registration & Admitting page.
Information on related prostate cancer topics include: “Prostate Scan,” “Prostate Ultrasound & Biopsy,” and “What is Brachytherapy?”
Robotic prostatectomy offers numerous potential benefits for patients:
- Better retention of bladder control
- Better retention of erectile function
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less post-operative pain and pain medication
- Less anesthesia
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- No blood donation necessary from patient
- Less scarring
- Faster and more complete recovery
- Quicker return to normal daily activities