You may be a candidate for a less invasive approach to prostate removal called robotic prostatectomy. This method incorporates the latest advancements in robotic-assisted technology and allows a surgeon greater visualization, enhanced dexterity, precision and control.
For qualified candidates, the robotic prostatectomy offers numerous potential benefits over the traditional open prostatectomy, including:
- Better retention of bladder control
- Better retention of erectile function
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less post-operative pain and pain medication
- Less anesthesia
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- No blood donation necessary from patient
- Less scarring
- Faster and more complete recovery
- Quicker return to normal daily activities
The da Vinci® Surgical System used at The James for robotic prostatectomy extends the surgeon’s capabilities to provide these significant benefits:
- 3-D Visualization: Provides the surgeon with a true 3-dimensional view of the operating field. This direct and natural hand-eye instrument alignment is similar to open surgery with "all-around" vision and the ability to zoom-in and zoom-out.
- Dexterity: Provides the surgeon with instinctive operative controls that make complex minimally invasive surgery procedures feel more like open surgery than laparoscopic surgery.
- Surgical Precision: Permits the surgeon to move instruments with such accuracy that the current definition of surgical precision is exceeded.
- Access: Surgeons perform complex surgical maneuvers through 8-mm ports, eliminating the need for large traumatic incisions.
- Range of Motion: EndoWrist® Instruments restore full range of motion and ability to rotate instruments more than 360 degrees through tiny incisions
To contact the robotic prostatectomy team, please call (614) 293-0981.