Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
• 1 ½ cups quinoa, uncooked
• 1 ½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 ½ tbsp. red-wine vinegar
• 1 ½ cups cooked corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 4 scallions, chopped
• 1 tsp. garlic, minced fine
• ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
• ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves chopped find
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• ½ tsp. salt
• 1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
• 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve under cold running water until water runs clear. Put quinoa in a pot with 2 ¼ cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff quinoa with a fork, transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
2. While quinoa is cooking, in a small bowl, toss beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and coriander to the quinoa well.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well with salt and pepper. Salad may be made ahead and refrigerated, covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes 6-8 main-dish servings; 16 side-dish servings
Per Serving (side dish)