Music therapists use music-based interventions to accomplish goals of a cognitive, physical, emotional and social nature. In a typical session, patients may engage in music listening, movement, singing, playing instruments, writing music and analyzing the lyrics of a song.
Music therapy can be designed to:
- Decrease pain perception
- Alleviate anxiety and fear
- Enhance wellness and quality of life
- Promote communication of feelings
- Manage stress by improving respiration, lowering blood pressure, relaxing muscle tension, and reducing heart rate
- Counteract depression and elevate mood
If interested in receiving music therapy services or having music therapy in your clinic, please contact JamesCare for Life Music Therapist Terel Jackson, MMT, NMT-F, MT-BC, at Terel.Jackson@osumc.edu
, or call 614-293-6428.
JamesCare for Life also offers group music classes as part of its Expressive Arts programming.