1145 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43212
Ohio State's Comprehensive Cancer Center - James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute (OSUCCC–James) is one of the nation's premier cancer centers for the prevention, detection and treatment of cancer. OSUCCC-James is also a leader in developing programs and services that address long-term survivorship.
Our Oncology Rehabilitation program focuses on improving the quality of a person’s life after cancer. We help cancer patients manage the following issues:
- Impaired mobility (deconditioning, weakness or loss of flexibility)
- Energy management issues
- Chemotherapy-related side effects
- Physical well being after cancer
Physical Therapy can help patients improve physical functioning as part of survivorship. Specifically, Oncology Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy can:
- Improve range of motion in radiated joints and tissues, including the chest wall
- Increase muscle and joint strength
- Develop exercise programs to increase endurance and reduce fatigue
- Instruct in energy conservation techniques
- Aid in the reduction of pain and the development of muscular pain syndromes
- Reduce the effects of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy on performance of daily activities
- Treat and manage lymphedema of the extremities, trunk or face
The length of physical therapy depends on the specific needs and goals of each patient. It may be as short as one visit to develop a home exercise program or it may extend a number of weeks or months. Physical Therapy can be used at any phase of survivorship.
In our Lymphedema Clinic, a physical therapist is available five days a week to check the condition of the limb and treat it, if necessary.
The newest and most common treatment is manual lymphatic massage – a gentle rubbing that enhances the flow of lymph fluid. Other treatments, such as compression sleeve, bandaging and exercise also are available.
Our physical therapists educate patients about ways to prevent lymphedema, such as staying out of the sun and guarding against cuts, burns or bug bites in the affected area.
We participate with most health insurance companies. Physical therapy is usually covered, at least in part, by most insurance plans. However, every plan is different. You may want to check with your healthcare provider before your appointment.
For more information about Oncology Rehabilitation, please contact us at (614) 293-0043.