Radiation Therapy Takes Wing at the OSUCCC – James
RT Now Available at JamesCare Comprehensive Breast Center
The JamesCare Comprehensive Breast Center, which opened in April, now has its own TrueBeam linear accelerator and began offering radiation therapy for breast cancer patients in July. The OSUCCC – James Comprehensive Breast Center is the first of its kind in the Midwest to offer the full spectrum of breast cancer treatment – surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy – along with all-inclusive prevention, detection and survivorship services in one location.
Second Floor, Please
When the new James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute opens in 2014, patients arriving for radiation therapy will head to the Second Floor, rather than Ground Level, which is the typical location for a radiation oncology department.
“The new James Cancer Hospital will have one of the few radiation oncology departments that is located above ground,” says Arnab Chakravarti, MD, chair of Radiation Oncology at the OSUCCC – James. The 64,400 sq. ft. space will include:
- Seven treatment vaults, plus brachytherapy areas;
- 24 examination rooms and three consultation rooms;
- Separate registration areas for new patients and on-treatment patients;
- Waiting areas with natural light and interior rooms with more meditative designs;
- More spacious treatment vaults with storage to hide immobilization and treatment masks.
“We are putting a lot of thought into creating a calming, friendly environment to offer our patients the very best in personalized care in Radiation Oncology,” Chakravarti says.