OSUCCC receives highest rating possible from the NCI
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center (OSUCCC) received the highest rating possible on its five-year Support Grant renewal application to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the highest rating ever in University history.
Further, OSUCCC Director and James CEO Michael A. Caligiuri, MD announced that the NCI deemed the OSUCCC “should serve as the model for other matrix universitybased centers.”
“This is a tribute to our team of dedicated scientists, physicians, nurses, clinical and technical professionals, support staff and volunteers, all of whom share in our mission of eradicating cancer and contribute to this cause in their own special ways,” Dr. Caligiuri says.
The Support Grant is the major funding source for the OSUCCC – James scientific leadership and administration, shared technology and services, and development. The grant renewal will enable the OSUCCC – James to retain its status as one of only 40 NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers, a designation it has enjoyed since 1976.
“While we do not yet know our new funding level,” Dr. Caligiuri adds, “we believe it will be higher than the $20 million we received during our last NCI review process in 2004.”
The recommendation for renewing the Support Grant followed a thorough review by the NCI of the nearly 1,500-page written application and a site visit by an NCI survey team. The NCI rated the cancer center as “exceptional,” its highest descriptor.
The NCI’s team of reviewers noted that there has been “substantial improvement in every dimension of this cancer center. The remarkable growth is highlighted in the impressive trajectory of high-impact publications, NCI support, (and several) multi-investigator grants… along with the recruitment of 159 cancer-focused investigators in key areas that will provide new and exciting research opportunities.”
Creating a Cancer-Free World and You Can Help!
At the OSUCCC – James, our world-renowned researchers, oncologists, specialists, nurses and staff work tirelessly each day toward a shared vision — a cancer-free world.
You can help.
1. Donate. Ohio State is committed to understanding, preventing and curing cancer. If you would like more information on how you can help cure cancer, contact our Development Office, 614-293-3744.
2. Ride, Donate or Volunteer for Pelotonia. Pelotonia is a community bicycling event with one goal: to end cancer. Pelotonia proudly directs 100 percent of every dollar raised to research here at the OSUCCC – James. For more information on how you can participate, visit pelotonia.org
3. Volunteer at The James. For information on volunteer opportunities, contact the Volunteer Office, 614-293-4663.
4. JamesCare for Life. JamesCare for Life provides a variety of resources including support groups and classes to assist patients and families. For more information about any of our classes or support groups, call The JamesLine 800-293-5066.
5. Get your cancer screenings. Many cancers that are found early can be treated and often cured. For more information about cancer screening, prevention, early detection or cancer clinical trials, call The JamesLine at 800-293-5066.