6 Facts About the Construction of the New Home of The James
The new home of The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute was designed and constructed with cancer patients and their families in mind. The six facts below show construction progress over the last four years and the planning that went into designing and building a 21st-century cancer hospital.
- With 21 floors, The James is the 15th tallest hospital in the United States and 25th tallest in the world.
- The hospital was constructed using eco-friendly materials, technology and construction practices, leading to a building that uses 20 percent less energy than a standard building.
- The building was constructed with one of the country’s few above-ground radiation oncology units, providing patients with natural light and a healing environment.
- Patients can receive nearly all of their treatment in the comfort of their own specially equipped room.
- The hospital’s critical care rooms include comfort zones where loved ones can stay, sleep and shower.
- The building’s design combines research and education spaces on every patient-care floor, which will accelerate the creation of new diagnostic tools and treatments.
For more updates about the new home of The James, subscribe to the OSUCCC – James Blog.