Meet Jami Brunk-Young: Team Buckeye Rider and Fearless Fundraiser
Fundraising for Pelotonia can sometimes be more intimidating than actually getting on the bike and riding 25-180 miles. If you're having trouble getting started fundraising for Pelotonia 16, check out this advice from seven-time rider Jami Brunk-Young:
Jami sent out her first ask via email to 20 of her family and friends on a Tuesday, and by Thursday afternoon had already raised more than $1,415. It’s that easy!
When sending your ask, consider including your personal connection to cancer and Pelotonia, and tell your potential donors about the work that Pelotonia supports at the OSUCCC – James.
Jami agreed to share her awesome message with us to give you a head start on yours!
Thank you for your many years and many dollars of support of my Pelotonia rides! I will be riding again this year, on Saturday August 6. This is my SEVENTH year and the biggest one yet – I have signed up to ride 100 miles – the farthest I have ever committed to go!
Since 2009, Pelotonia has raised more than $106,000,000 for innovative cancer research at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute. I am proud to say that I have helped raise $9,849.90 of that in my six years of riding. Thank you!
One of the best things about this biking fundraiser is the accountability of your money (100% goes to research). I want to share a few stats about Pelotonia’s impact:
- Pelotonia dollars have supported the groundbreaking clinical trials of Ibrutinib, which is now FDA approved for the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and mantle cell lymphoma.
- Pelotonia dollars have funded a statewide initiative aimed at identifying those at high risk for colorectal, ovarian, and uterine cancer so they can seek preventive care: The Ohio Colorectal Cancer Prevention Initiative.
- Pelotonia dollars have allowed our OSUCCC – James scientists to spend several years focusing on why some instances of squamous cell carcinoma (skin cancer) become fatal. We are close to discovering what makes certain tumors in this cancer fatal for thousands of people each year.
- With our funds:
- 353 Pelotonia Fellowships have been awarded to brilliant young scientists
- 73 Idea Grants have been given to researchers with transformational ideas
- 59 senior scientists have been funded to pursue cutting-edge research
- Approximately 17% of funding is spent on providing our cancer researchers sophisticated equipment and technologies. Maintaining state-of-the-art technology is critical for our scientists to remain competitive in the fight against cancer.
When you follow this link, you will find my personal rider profile and a simple and secure way to make any size donation you wish: http://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=48028.
My fundraising goal this year is $2,000. Your donation doesn’t have to be big to make a big difference.
I appreciate all your support!
Have more questions about how to get started on your fundraising? Check out Pelotonia's Fundraising Toolkit.