Pelotonia at 10: A Message of Gratitude for a Decade of Dedication
Each ride, mile and turn of a pedal brings us closer to a cancer-free world.
It only takes two words to sum up our thoughts on 10 years of Pelotonia: thank you.
We want to express our deepest gratitude to all the riders, virtual riders and volunteers who have pedaled countless miles during Pelotonia’s decade of dedication—including the record-high 8,470 cyclists and 3,300 volunteers who braved the August heat during 2018’s event, raising a record $27.4 million and bringing the 10-year total to an amazing $184 million—all of which goes directly to cancer research at The James.
The impact of that money is felt in our labs, on campus and in the community as James experts conduct Pelotonia-funded research across six major spending areas (totals as of August, 2018):
- The Intramural Research Program that has provided 134 faculty research teams with grants totaling $13.8 million;
- The Pelotonia Fellowship Program that has awarded 475 fellowships totaling more than $15 million to Ohio State students who want to conduct cancer research with faculty mentors;
- The purchase of sophisticated equipment for cancer research;
- Three statewide initiatives that work with community hospitals to take aim at specific cancers;
- Strategic research investments such as our Drug Development Institute, Digital Pathology and Total Cancer Care® protocol;
- Start-up support for dozens of newly recruited cancer researchers.
As a proud part of the “Greatest Team Ever,” we use Pelotonia funds to collaborate on cancer research with investigators in 11 of the 15 colleges at Ohio State, as well as Nationwide Children’s Hospital and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
On behalf of the OSUCCC – James family, we thank all Pelotonia participants for the unrivaled support you’ve shown over the past 10 years. Each ride, mile and turn of a pedal has brought us closer to a cancer-free world.
See you next year!