Mind, Body, Spirit classes are designed to promote relaxation, well-being and a sense of balance in one's life. Learn about techniques such as meditation, mindfulness and integrative practices that can provide restoration in times of stress and illness.
Pre-registration is required. Click on the program title under Upcoming Events for detailed information and to register.
Available on video at: go.osu.edu/JCFLvideos
Tips for Taming Stress During the Holidays
Half-Day Mindfulness Workshops
These four-hour workshops provide the opportunity to practice mindfulness techniques by focusing on the present moment. Workshop topics rotate and include the following:
- Unplug and Recharge – This program provides the opportunity to learn and practice a variety of mindfulness techniques including meditation, mindful walking/eating and gentle yoga stretches.
- Restorative Sleep – This program discusses how mindful awareness of inner thoughts can help quiet worry and promote healthy sleep.
- Tea and Serenity – A program on using tea time for quiet reflection and relaxation. A clinical dietitian shares health benefits of tea including its cancer fighting properties.
- Healthy Habits – This program highlights strategies on building healthy habits such as trying to lose weight, stop smoking, exercise more or snack less.
- Mindful Walking – This program involves practicing mindfulness techniques through a guided walk in a natural setting.
Introduction to Mind, Body, Spirit
These programs rotate and include the following:
- Reflexology – Reflexology is the application of pressure to areas on the feet. This presentation includes an overview of reflexology and a demonstration where participants can experience a reflexology mini session.
- Acupuncture – Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine technique that stimulates areas of the body with gentle use of thin needles to help treat a variety of medical conditions. This presentation provides information on the potential benefits of how acupuncture can help manage common symptoms experienced by cancer survivors.
- Urban Zen Integrative Therapy (UZIT) – A class in which participants learn about UZIT, a technique that combines restorative yoga poses, small gentle movements, use of aromatherapy and reiki. Yoga mats, blankets and chairs will be used to support body position.
- Self-Shiatsu and Acupressure – Shiatsu (which means finger pressure) combines acupressure, joint rotation and stretching. Learn easy self-shiatsu practices in a group setting.
Mindfulness in Motion Series
Offered biannually, this eight-week series offers guided mindfulness, meditation, community sharing and gentle yoga-inspired stretches within a structured curriculum.
A 10-week series that involves movements performed in a slow focused manner accompanied by deep breathing. This class will combine discussion about this natural movement with opportunity to practice introductory techniques.
Urban Zen Integrative Therapy (UZIT) Series
A 6-week series that combines restorative yoga poses, small gentle movements, use of aromatherapy and reiki. Each week will focus on a different symptom that UZIT may help with including: pain, anxiety, nausea/constipation, insomnia, exhaustion and a review. Yoga mats, blankets and chairs will be used to support body position.