The Patient Education Department provides access to easy-to-understand health information to help patients to actively participate in their care, and to achieve a level of understanding and sense of control over their cancer. The patient education resources provided to patients:
- Comply with health literacy, readability and Joint Commission standards
- Reflect evidenced-based practice
- Meet the communication and cultural needs of patients
- Adhere to the organizational policies for patient education resources
The Patient Education Website has an extensive inventory of resources, with many handouts available in multiple languages. In addition to individual handouts, we develop educational videos and books specific to a diagnosis, treatment or procedure. Our resource centers offer comfortable, quiet places where James patients and their families/caregivers can find information and resources about living with cancer.
For more information about the services of the OSUCCC – James Patient Education Department, you may call the department directly at 614-293-5853.
Patient and Family Resource Center
The Patient and Family Resource Center is located on the ground floor of The James (460 W. 10th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210) near the grand staircase at the east end of the lobby.
Services and Amenities:
The Patient and Family Resource Center offers support, education and comfort services to patients and families. The center provides a comfortable, relaxed space where visitors can find:
- Trained staff and volunteers to assist with their information requests*
- Print and digital health education materials on specific types of cancer and cancer treatment
- Information on supportive services and community resources
- Computer terminals with internet access to find information online or to use for personal business
- Magazines and newspapers
- Quiet rooms for rest and respite
The Patient and Family Resource Center is open five days a week, Monday – Friday, from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
If you are unable to visit the center, you may call or e-mail your request for information to email@example.com and it will be delivered to your hospital room or mailed to your home address at no charge.
If you are interested in using one of our respite rooms, you may stop in or call the center at 614-366-0602 to reserve a time. The rooms have a rocker and if desired, you can turn on the screen in the room to see visual images set to soothing music.
*The Resource Center offers cancer education materials for informational purposes only. If you have questions about your care or treatment, always talk with your doctor or other qualified health provider.