- Steven Sun, a General Surgery resident at The Ohio State University, has joined the Carson Lab as a postdoctoral research fellow under the T32 ARTIST grant. His current research focuses on targeted inhibition of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase and its effect on myeloid derived suppressor cells.
- The Carson Lab is welcoming back three undergraduate research assistants for the 2019-2020 academic year: Zoe Barricklow, Logan Good and Gabby Lapurga.
- Suarez-Kelly LP, Yu L, Kline D, Schneider EB, Agnese DM, Carson WE. Increased breast cancer risk in women with neurofibromatosis type 1: a meta-analysis and systematic review of the literature. Hered Cancer Clin Pract. 2019 Mar 25;17:12. doi: 10.1186/s13053-019-0110-z. eCollection 2019. PubMed PMID: 30962859; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6434896.
- Duggan MC, Regan-Fendt K, Olaverria Salavaggione GN, Howard JH, Stiff AR, Sabella J, Latchana N, Markowitz J, Gru A, Tridandapani S, Eisfeld AK, de la Chapelle A, Carson WE. Neuroblastoma RAS viral oncogene homolog mRNA is differentially spliced to give five distinct isoforms: implications for melanoma therapy. Melanoma Res. 2019 Oct;29(5):491-500. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000623. PubMed PMID: 31116161.
- Benner B, Scarberry L, Suarez-Kelly LP, Duggan MC, Campbell AR, Smith E, Lapurga G, Jiang K, Butchar JP, Tridandapani S, Howard JH, Baiocchi RA, Mace TA, Carson WE 3rd. Generation of monocyte-derived tumor-associated macrophages using tumor-conditioned media provides a novel method to study tumor-associated macrophages in vitro. J Immunother Cancer. 2019 May 28;7(1):140. doi: 10.1186/s40425-019-0622-0. PubMed PMID: 31138333; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6540573.
- McMichael EL, Benner B, Atwal LS, Courtney NB, Mo X, Davis ME, Campbell AR, Duggan MC, Williams K, Martin K, Levine K, Olaverria Salavaggione GN, Noel T, Ganju A, Uppati S, Paul B, Olencki T, Teknos TN, Savvides P, Tridandapani S, Byrd JC, Caligiuri MA, Liu SV, Carson WE 3rd. A Phase I/II Trial of Cetuximab in Combination with Interleukin-12 Administered to Patients with Unresectable Primary or Recurrent Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2019 Aug 15;25(16):4955-4965. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-18-2108. Epub 2019 May 29. PubMed PMID: 31142501; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6697573.
- Pinette A, McMichael E, Courtney NB, Duggan M, Benner BN, Choueiry F, Yu L, Abood D, Mace TA, Carson WE 3rd. An IL-15-based superagonist ALT-803 enhances the NK cell response to cetuximab-treated squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2019 Aug;68(8):1379-1389. doi: 10.1007/s00262-019-02372-2. Epub 2019 Jul 23. PubMed PMID: 31338557.
Progress in Research
- Carson Lab T32 Fellow Mallory DiVincenzo recently attended the Annual Short Course on Experimental Models of Human Cancer sponsored by Jackson Laboratories in Bar Harbor, Maine. Dr. DiVincenzo presented her research “Determining Micro-RNA Patterns in Ulcerated Melanoma.”
- Latchana N, DiVincenzo MJ, Regan K, Abrams Z, Zhang X, Jacob NK, Gru AA, Fadda P, Markowitz J, Howard JH, Carson WE 3rd. Alterations in patient plasma microRNA expression profiles following resection of metastatic melanoma. J Surg Oncol. 2018 Sep;118(3):501-509. doi: 10.1002/jso.25163. Epub 2018 Aug 21. PubMed PMID: 30132912; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6160327.
- Olaverria Salavaggione GN, Duggan MC, Carson WE. Analysis of MLN4924 (pevonedistat) as a potential therapeutic agent in malignant melanoma. Melanoma Res. 2018 Oct;28(5):390-397. doi: 10.1097/CMR.0000000000000474. PubMed PMID: 30020196; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6110958.
- Alicia Blaszczak will be presenting her work entitled “Increased Anti-Inflammatory T-cells in a Novel Evaluation of Adipose Tissue in Breast Carcinoma” at the 14th Annual Academic Surgical Congress to be held February 5-7, 2019 in Houston, TX
- Dr. Rob Wesolowski has just opened a new clinical trial of the targeted agent ibrutinib in combination with nivolumab – OSU Study 18015, which is based directly on Carson Lab science.
- Wesolowski R, Duggan MC, Stiff A, Markowitz J, Trikha P, Levine KM, Schoenfield L, Abdel-Rasoul M, Layman R, Ramaswamy B, Macrae ER, Lustberg MB, Reinbolt RE, Mrozek E, Byrd JC, Caligiuri MA, Mace TA, Carson WE. Circulating myeloid-derived suppressor cells increase in patients undergoing neo-adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. Cancer Immunology & Immunotherapy. 2017.
- Markowitz J, Wang J, Vangundy Z, You J, Yildiz V, Yu L, Foote IP, Branson OE, Stiff AR, Brooks TR, Biesiadecki B, Olencki T, Tridandapani S, Freitas MA, Papenfuss T, Phelps MA, Carson WE. Nitric oxide mediated inhibition of antigen presentation from DCs to CD4+ T cells in cancer and measurement of STAT1 nitration. Science Reports. 2018.
- Suarez-Kelly LP, Akagi K, Reeser JW, Samorodnitsky E, Reeder M, Smith A, Roychowdhury S, Symer DE, Carson WE. Metaplastic breast cancer in a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1 and somatic loss of heterozygosity. Cold Spring Harbor Molecular Case Studies. 2018.
- Stiff A, Trikha P, Mundy-Bosse B, McMichael E, Mace TA, Benner B, Kendra K, Campbell A, Gautam S, Abood D, Landi I, Hsu V, Duggan M, Wesolowski R, Old M, Howard JH, Yu L, Stasik N, Olencki T, Muthusamy N, Tridandapani S, Byrd JC, Caligiuri M, Carson WE. Nitric Oxide Production by Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells Plays a Role in Impairing Fc Receptor-Mediated Natural Killer Cell Function. Clinical Cancer Research. 2018.
- Lai X, Stiff A, Duggan M, Wesolowski R, Carson WE, Friedman A. Modeling combination therapy for breast cancer with BET and immune checkpoint inhibitors. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences USA. 2018.
- Himanshu Savardekar was recently hired as a Research Assistant in the Carson Lab and will be coordinating the procurement of patient samples and act as the lead tech on our animal studies.
- Andrew Stiff, a former lab member who received his PhD degree while in our lab, is returning to the Carson lab through the Ohio State College of Medicine Advanced Competency in Biomedical Research program and will be continuing his research while completing medical school.
- First-year medical student Casey Ren joined the lab for the summer to complete a research project studying microRNAs in melanoma.
- Kallie Jiang joined the lab for the summer as a member of the SUCCESS (Summer Undergraduate Course Creating Excellence in Scientific Study) summer program. Kallie is an undergraduate at Oberlin College and will be working with Brooke studying tumor associated macrophages.
- The Carson lab celebrated its 20th anniversary!
- Megan Duggan and Andrew Stiff successfully defended their dissertations.
- Dr. Carson hooded Megan at Ohio State’s May 2017 commencement ceremony
- Undergraduate researchers Nico Olaverria Salavaggione, David Abood, Tiffany Noel and Kristin Bede all graduated from OSU this spring!
- David Abood and Nico Olaverria Salavaggione successfully defended their undergraduate research theses! David accepted a position as a full-time Research Assistant with the Carson Lab following his graduation.
- Nick Courtney received a prestigious Pelotonia Undergraduate Fellowship for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Dr. Suarez-Kelly and Dr. Pinette attended the 2017 Society for Surgical Oncology meeting where both presented research.
Spring – Summer 2016
- Liz McMichael, Megan Duggan and Andrew Stiff attended the annual AACR meeting in New Orleans in April. Each student presented a poster and interacted in a collegial and scholarly manner with other like-minded students at various Bourbon Street locations. Megan Duggan’s poster was chosen for an award.
- PhD candidate Megan Duggan won a 2016 AACR Women in Cancer Research Scholar award at the 2016 AACR annual meeting. Congratulations Megan! In June of this year, Megan Duggan was awarded a second year of funding via the “Systems and Integrative Biology” (SIB) T32 Training Fellowship in the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program.
- Liz McMichael defended her thesis in April 2016, graduated and accepted a position at the University of Pittsburgh in the research Group of Dr. Robert L. Ferris.
- Amanda Harper graduated from the Carson Lab and is pursuing her MD in the OSU College of Medical School.
- Liz McMichael and Amanda Harper received momentos of their accomplishments and were awarded the prestigious LT Furbrush Award.
- Nico Olaverria Salavaggione and Tiffany Noel spent the summer months of 2016 as Pelotonia Undergraduate Fellows and completed exciting projects. Nico studied the role of the proteasome inhibitors in malignant melanoma with Megan Duggan and Tiffany studied immune suppressor cells and their effects on natural killer cells with Lorena Suarez-Kelly.
- David Abood and Nicholas Courtney received prestigious Undergraduate Research Summer Fellowships through the Undergraduate Research Office.
- The summer brought many new talented students to the lab: Brooke Benner, Megann Boone and Mark Hahn are currently pursuing their doctoral degrees through the Biomedical Sciences Program and participated in a summer rotation in the Carson Lab. Brooke studied the expression of NRAS isoform 2 in sarcoma. Megann studied the ability to target myeloid derived suppressor cells through tissue factor expression. Mark studied the role of BRD4 in myeloid derived suppressor cell function.
- Walter Wang is pursuing a MD/PhD through the Medical Sciences Training Program and had a successful summer rotation studying the potential therapeutic role of fluorescent nanodiamonds with Lorena.
- Madison Krischak is student from Duke University who participated in the SUCCESS (Summer Undergraduate Course Creating Excellence in Scientific Study) program.
- Ashley Pinette has accepted a T32 Fellowship with the Carson Lab. Ash is General Surgery resident at Wright State University who is taking two years to learn the ins and outs of bench research. He is currently studying the effects of interleukin-15 on human natural killer cells and their ability to destroy head and neck cancer cells.
- Tiffany Noel is a 2016 Pelotonia Fellow with an inspiring story.
- Amanda Campbell attended the Keystone Immunotherapy Conference in Vancouver in January. She presented a poster entitled “MICA-Expressing monocytes enhance natural killer cell Fc receptor-mediated effector functions.”
- We recently welcomed our new lab manager, Ruthann Norman!
- Megan Duggan and Andrew Stiff successfully completed their candidacy exams in March.
- Amanda Campbell successfully defended her thesis in March.
- Nick Courtney, Nico Salavaggione, David Abood, Sarvani Uppati and Tiffany Noel all presented posters at the annual OSU Denman Undergraduate Research Forum in March. Good work!
June – September 2015
- Amanda Campbell (Harper) was awarded a Graduate Student Pelotonia Fellowship and Megan Duggan was awarded a SIB T32 Training Fellowship from the BSGP at Ohio State.
- MD/PhD candidates Amanda Campbell and Andrew Stiff were selected to give oral presentations at the MSTP summer retreat.
- Nick Courtney joined the Carson Lab as an undergraduate research associate.
- BSGP first year graduate student Bailey Dye began rotating in the lab. Bailey is working on a project looking at the different isoforms of NRAS in sarcomas.
- NIH T32 postdoctoral fellow Lorena Suarez-Kelly joined the Carson Lab following her residency at Memorial University.
April – June 2015
- Undergraduate SUCCESS student Michelle Culbertson joined the Carson lab for the summer from her home institution of Arizona State University.
- Graduate student Elizabeth McMichael gave her talk, entitled, “IL-21 enhances natural killer cell activity against cetuximab-coated pancreatic tumor cells.” at the OSU Department of Surgery Research Day. Dr. Nicholas Latchana also presented his talk, entitled, “Classification of Indeterminate Melanocytic Lesions by MicroRNA Profiling.”
- Dr. Nicholas Latchana won 1st place in Oncology at the Annual American College of Surgeons Ohio Chapter Meeting for his oral presentation on Global MicroRNA Profiling of Indeterminate Melanocytic Lesions.
January – March 2015
- Carson Lab undergraduates Gonzalo Nico Olaverria Salavaggione and Tiffany Noel were awarded Summer Undergraduate Research Institute scholarships to work in the lab full time over the summer of 2015.
October – December 2014
- Gonzalo Olaverria-Salavaggione and Tiffany Noel joined the Carson lab as undergraduate volunteers.
- Amanda Harper, an MD/PhD candidate in the Carson Lab, had a talk at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center Translational Therapeutics retreat entitled, “A Factor VII-IgG Fc Fusion Protein and Interleukin-15 to Promote Natural Killer Cell Activity Against Metastatic Melanoma.”
- Elizabeth McMichael, a PhD candidate in the Carson lab, had a poster at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center Translational Therapeutics retreat entitled, “Enhancement of cetuximab-induced antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity with lenalidomide in advanced solid tumors: A Phase I trial.”
- Dr. Prashant Trikha a senior researcher in the Carson lab, had a poster at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center Translational Therapeutics retreat entitled, “Modulation of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cell Function with Ibrutinib, a Bruton’s Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor.”
- Dr. Nicholas Latchana, a surgical resident in the Carson lab, had a poster at the OSU Comprehensive Cancer Center Translational Therapeutics retreat entitled, “Classification of Indeterminate Melanocytic Lesions by MicroRNA Profiling.” IBGP first year graduate student Leslee Sprague began rotating in the lab. Les is working on a project looking at the genes involved in Dr. Carson’s clinical trial OSU-07033, “A Pilot Study of IFN-alpha-2b Dose Reduction with Dose Optimization” in patients with melanoma.
- Amanda Harper attended the SITC conference and gave an oral presentation of her work, entitled, “Monocyte Expression of MICA Enhances the Natural Killer Cell Response to Antibody- Coated Tumor Targets.”
- Amanda Harper and Elizabeth McMichael were chosen to give talks at the Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program Retreat. Amanda Harper gave her talk on, “Monocyte Expression of MICA Enhances the Natural Killer Cell Response to Antibody- Coated Tumor Targets.” Elizabeth McMichael gave her talk, entitled, “IL-21 enhances natural killer cell activity against cetuximab-coated pancreatic tumor cells.”
- Dr. Joseph Markowtiz, MD/PhD attended the AACR Immunology meeting in Florida and presented his poster entitled, “Nitroaspirins abrogate myeloid derived suppressor cell inhibition of dendritic cell antigen presentation to CD4+ T cells in pancreatic adenocarcinoma.”
- Carson lab first year IBGP graduate student Megan Duggan was awarded a Career Development Grant from the Council of Graduate Students.
- The entire Carson Lab participated in the OSUCCC – James’ Hope for the Holiday program, and was able to help make Christmas gifts possible for a family of four.