Lung cancer is the #1 cancer killer of both men and women in the United States; more than breast, ovarian, colon, kidney, melanoma, prostate and testicular cancer deaths combined. Lung cancer screening (CT scans) has proven to reduce lung cancer deaths by more than 20 percent.
As we know, there is no routine lung cancer. Each cancer is as unique and complex as the individual affected by it. Just as there is no routine lung cancer, there is no routine lung cancer screening program. At the OSUCCC – James, our lung cancer screening program provides at-risk individuals with a “one-stop shop” screening program, which is staffed by our team of lung cancer specialists whose sole focus is on the prevention, detection and treatment of lung cancer.
Screenings at The James are highly detailed, looking for the greatest number of gene mutations and cell changes. Our team perform some of the world’s most advanced tumor sequencing (right on site at The James) by analyzing each patient’s tumor to identify the molecules and genes driving their particular lung cancer. The program:
- Includes one low-dose CT scan each year
- Provides real-time reading of the low-dose CT scan by a radiologist who is an expert in lung cancer
- Offers same-day consultation with an OSUCCC - James lung cancer expert and same-day results, giving patients an immediate opportunity for collaboration with our experts on site
- Availability for same-day appointment with a smoking cessation expert, if requested
- Is comprised of OSUCCC - James physicians and researchers who are conducting research to develop blood tests to identify lung cancer at earlier stages, as well as many other lung cancer specific research initiatives
- 55-77 years old
- No current history of lung cancer
- Tobacco history of at least 30 pack years (one pack year = smoking one pack per day for one year; 1 pack = 20 cigarettes)
- Current smoker or one who has quit within the last 15 years
- Has not had a CT scan of the chest within the past 12 months
When and Where:
- Every week at:
Our lung cancer screening program provides patients with access to a multidisciplinary team of top scientists and oncologists whose pinpoint specialization helps them understand each cancer at the molecular level to provide targeted therapies available only at Ohio State. For example, OSUCCC – James physicians and researchers are conducting research to develop blood tests to identify lung cancer at earlier stages.
For questions or to schedule a screening, call us at 614-293-5066 or 800-293-5066.